Last April, unknown attackers shot up 17 transformers at a California substation in what the then-chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Jon Wellinghoff called "the most significant incident of domestic terrorism involving the grid that has ever occurred" in this country.
Though news reports about the incident at the Metcalf transmission facility came out in April, The Wall Street Journal just pieced together the larger story of the attack together from regulatory filings and outside reporting.
Various power-grid facilities are vandalized or damaged regularly, but the details of this particular attack are startling.
Before the attackers opened fire on the transformers, fiber optic lines running nearby were cut.
Whoever executed the maneuver knew where to shoot the transformers. They aimed at the oil-cooling systems, causing them to leak oil and eventually overheat. By the time that happened, the attackers were long gone.
Wellinghoff toured the site with Navy Seals, according to the Journal, and they were convinced that it was a professional job. Several people in the Journal story join Wellinghoff in talking up the physical (not cyber) threats to the grid’s stability.
Despite the great reporting in the WSJ story, thecentral question remains unresolved: Why did this attack occur? What did they want?
Read more. [Image: Google]
- leftistshuffle reblogged this from theatlantic
- studiosixty likes this
- weallcomplete reblogged this from theatlantic
- andthebaddecisions likes this
- penguinfaery reblogged this from pol102
- mountainpass likes this
- mountainpass reblogged this from theatlantic
- darjeelingandcoke reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- darjeelingandcoke likes this
- zhounder reblogged this from cactustreemotel
- wojojojo likes this
- thisshipwillsinkwithme likes this
- themarkinman likes this
- tristansin reblogged this from theatlantic
- mentalfloss1 reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- oxygenplanet likes this
- youngfreeradical reblogged this from pol102
- mistoria reblogged this from sliverdemon
- lolableu reblogged this from theatlantic
- michaelzimmer reblogged this from theatlantic
- konkretejungle reblogged this from theatlantic
- konkretejungle likes this
- alec-c-c-combo-breaker likes this
- watchmytoast reblogged this from pol102
- phineyharlock likes this
- bilalnedman reblogged this from theatlantic
- alexwanderingbutnotlost reblogged this from gentlemanwarrior
- tea-spooky reblogged this from michaelk42
- sliverdemon reblogged this from pol102
- pizi likes this
- final-battle-of-penthesilea likes this
- seltaire likes this
- m0rethenjustadream reblogged this from in-a-raging-sea-of-flames
- verycuriousnocure reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- moustafaelian likes this
- scott-ruggels reblogged this from michaelk42
- scott-ruggels likes this
- thousandhandbrightskycannon likes this
- pol102 reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- thenelsontwins reblogged this from crimeschedule and added:
- thenelsontwins likes this
- boghossianm likes this
- greystravels likes this
- thesacreddraught likes this
- aradiabotarisen likes this
- brainbangley likes this
- noahe36 reblogged this from michaelk42
- amaladroid likes this
- anti-power likes this